Registered News Paper – Insertion of Clause 9(a) in Rulings
Insertion of Clause 9(a) in consolidated Rulings on Registered Newspapers issued vide order No. 22-17/2008-PO dated 05.05.2008
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
New Delhi – 110001
Dated 23rd August 2021
Subject : Insertion of Clause 9(a) in Consolidated Rulings on Registered Newspapers issues vide order no. 22-17/2008-PO dated 05.05.2008.
Department of Posts supports publications/Newspapers through the provision of Subsidized postage rates under postal registration for obtaining postal registration. It is necessary that the publication possess RNI certificate for its publication.
2. As per extant rules, If there is a change in the editor or publisher of a publication, a new RNI certificate is required for availing said postal registration. Till the time a new RNI certificate is produced, concessional postage facility cannot be extended to the same publication which has a postal registration. This procedural requirement often causes inconvenience to the publications in the unfortunate event of the death of the editor or publisher. Therefore , In order to support the publications in case of such events, it is decided to provide grace period to manage the transition. Accordingly, Clause 9 (a) with the following text is hereby inserted in the consolidated Rulings on Registered Newspapers issued vide order 22-17/2008-PO dated 05.05.2008.
9 (a) ” A grace period of six months is provided for obtaining the revised RNI Certificate from Registrar of Newspapers in India (RNI), New Delhi in the unfortunate event of death of the editor/Publisher whose name is mentioned on the RNI Certificate submitted at the time for availing postal registration, provided the new Editor/Publisher produces evidence to the effect that he/she has applied for new RNI certificate to the RNI, New Delhi. The six months relaxation will be counted from the date of death of deceased editor/publisher. It is further allowed to the post the issues magazine in the post office at the concessional rates prescribed for Registered/Newspaper during the grace period of six months.”
3. This amendment may be brought to the notice of all concerned.
4. This issues with the approval of Director General Postal Services.
5. Hindi Version will follow.
Phone no. 011-23096005
- All Chief Postmasters General
- Director RAKNPA, Ghaziabad.
- The CGM, CEPT Mysuru-570010 for uploading this O.M. on the home page of website of India Post.
- All CGsM/Sr. DDsG/DDsG
- All Directors of PTCs
- Guard file.