Clearance and Posting of Cheques – DOP instructions
Circles may issue strict instructions to all Post Offices to ensure that the cleared cheques are posted on the same day in the accounts concerned.
File No. FS-10/19/2020-FS
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, New Delhi-110001
All Heads of Circles/Regions
Subject: -Clearance and posting of Cheques – Regarding.
(i) It has been observed that grievances are received frequently from many depositors for clearance and posting of Cheques. The point wise fact as below:-Even after deduction of amount from their savings accounts in banks towards the cheques deposited in the post offices for opening of new accounts or for subsequent deposit in PPF/SSA/SB/RD accounts, the accounts are not opened and deposits are not made in accounts concerned, by the post offices.
(ii) Due to delay in credit of the amount of cheques cleared, in their account, they face loss of interest.
2. Only because of negligence of the officials including supervisors /APM/ DPM/ SPM concerned, working in the post office, such complaints are received frequently by the Directorate.
3. Except the credit in PO savings account, in respect of all other schemes, the amount of cheque cleared are credited in the office account SOLID+0382. Since, the amount credited in Finalce office account 0382 is not monitored on daily basis and posting of cheques cleared is not done on the date of clearance itself, such grievances are arising.
4. In many cases, in order to settle such grievances, request are received from Circles for back value dated transactions, which reveals that cheque amount are not posted in the customer’s account or new accounts are not opened, even after expiry of 30 days from the date of clearance. This is highly irregular and the depositors are put in to unnecessary harassment.
5. Hence, it is requested that circles may issue strict instructions to all the post offices to ensure that the cleared cheques are posted on the same day in the accounts concerned and the new accounts are opened on the same date of clearance of cheques itself without any delay.
6. This is issued with the approval of the competent authority.
Asst. Director (SB-I)