Leave Encashment – Important FAQ on Leave Rules

Download Postal Blog App from Google Play Store

Frequently asked questions on Leave encashment – CCS (Leaves Rules)

Authority: GOI OM No 21011/08/2013-Estt(AL) dated 25.03.2013
Ministry of Public Grievance and Pension,
Department of Personnel & Training

Q1. What is the maximum period of leave of any kind which can be allowed to a Government servant? What is the impact if such limit is exceeded ?

A1. No Government servant shall be granted leave of any kind for a continuous period of 5 yrs {Rule 12(1)}. Normally, absence from duty, with or without leave, for a continuous period exceeding 5 years other than on foreign service, implies that such Government servant has deemed to have resigned from Government service. {Rule 12(2)}

Q2. Whether encashment of leave is allowed after LTC is availed ?

A2. Sanction of leave encashment should, as a practice, be done in advance, at the time of sanctioning the LTC. However, ex-post-facto sanction of leave encashment on LTC may be considered by the sanctioning authority as an exception in deserving cases within the time limit prescribed for submission of claims for LTC.

Q3. Whether encashment of leave with LTC can be availed at the time when the LTC is availed by the Government servant only or can leave be encashed at the time when LTC is availed by family members?

A3. Yes. A Government servant can be permitted to encash earned leave up to 10 days either at the time of availing LTC for himself or when his family avails it provided other conditions are satisfied.

Q4. Whether leave encashment should be revised on retrospective revision of pay/D.A?

A4. In terms of 38- A of CCS (Leave) Rules encashment of EL along with LTC is to be calculated on pay admissible on the date of availing LTC and DA admissible on that date. If pay or DA admissible has been revised with retrospective effect, going by the rule the Govt. servant would be entitled to encashment of Leave on the revised rates.

Q5. Whether earned leave encashment allowed by the State Governments, PSUs, Autonomous Bodies to Govt. servant prior to his joining the Central Govt. is to be taken into account while calculating ceiling of leave encashment on his superannuation an d retirement from Central Govt.?

A5. Encashment of EL allowed by the State Governments, Public S e c t o r Undertakings/ Autonomous Bodies for services rendered therein need not be taken into account for calculating the ceiling of 300 days of Earned leave to be encashed as per CCS (Leave) Rules

Q6. Whether leave encashment allowed by Govt. under CCS (Leave) rules, 1972 on absorption in Central autonomous body/PSUs is to be taken into account?

A6. Encashment of EL allowed by the Govt. under the CCS (Leave) rules, 1972 for service rendered in the Central Govt. prior to absorption in Central autonomous body shall not be taken into account while calculating the number of days of EL encashable in an autonomous body/ PSU for the post absorption period.

Q7. Whether cash equivalent o f leave salary in case of permanent absorption in PSU /Autonomous body is permissible?

A7. A Government servant who has been permitted to be absorbed in a Corporation Company wholly or substantially owned or controlled by Central/State Government shall be suo motu granted cash equivalent of leave salary of earned leave at his credit on the date of absorption subject to a maximum of 300 days (being calculated as per provisions of rule 39) {Rule39-D}Permanent absorption under the rule shall mean such appointment for which the govt. servant applied through proper channel and resigned from Government service for taking up of such appointment-{Note below rule 39-D- Notification No.13026/3/2011-Estt. (L) Dated 28- 3-2012}.


Q8. Whether leave encashment can be sanctioned to a Govt Servant on his superannuation while under suspension?

A8. Leave encashment may be allowed in such cases. However, rule 39(3) of CCS (Leave) rules, 1972 allows withholding of leave encashment in the case of a Govt. servant who retires from service on attaining the age of superannuation while under suspension or while disciplinary or criminal proceedings are pending against him, if in view of the authority there is a possibility of some money becoming recoverable from him on conclusion of the proceedings against him. On conclusion of the proceedings he/she will become eligible to the amount so withheld after adjustment of Government dues, if any.


Q9. Whether leave encashment can be sanctioned to govt. servant on his dismissal/ removal, from service?

A9. A government servant, who is dismissed/ removed from service, ceases to have any claim to leave at his credit from the date of such dismissal, as per rule 9(1). Hence he is not entitled to any leave encashment.

Q10. Whether interest is payable on delayed payment of leave encashment dues?

A10. No. There is no provision in the CCS (Leave) rules 1972 for payment of interest on leave encashment.

Q11. What is the maximum amount of study leave which can be availed?

A11. The maximum amount of study leave for other than CHS officers is restricted to twenty four months during the entire service period and ordinarily it can be allowed for up to twelve months at a time.{Rule 51(I)}. For CHS officers the ceiling is for 36 months for acquiring P G qualifications. {Rule51 (2)}.

Q12. Whether study leave can be clubbed with other leave’?

A12. Yes. Study leave may be combined with other kinds of leave, but in no case shall be grant of this leave in combination with leave, other than extraordinary leave involve a total absence of more than twenty eight months generally and thirty-six months for the courses leading to PhD. Degree from the regular duties of the Govt. servant.(Rule 54)

Q13. What is the v a lid ity period of’ bond to b e executed by the Government Servant w h i l e proceedings on study leave?

A13. Government servant is required to execute a bond to serve the Government for a period of three years after expiry of study leave. For CHS officers the period i s five years.(Rule 55)

Q14. Whether a Govt. servant who has been granted study leave may be allowed to resign to take up a post in other Ministries/Department of the Central Govt., within the bond period?

A14. As per rule50 (5) (iii), a Govt. Servant has to submit a bond to serve the Govt. for a period of 3 years. As the Govt. servant would still be serving government in a Department other than parent Department, he may be allowed to submit his resignation to take up another post within the Central Govt. if he had applied for the post through proper channel.

Q15. How is a child defined the purpose of grant of Paternity leave for Child adoption/Child adoption leave?

A15. As per notes below rules 43AA and 43B “Child” for the purpose will include a child taken as ward by the Government servant, under the Guardians and Wards act, 1890 or the personal law applicable to that Government servant, provided such a ward lives with the Government servant and is treated as a member of the family and provided such Government servant has, through a special will, conferred upon that ward the same status as that of a natural born child’.

Q16. Whether Govt, servant can be permitted to leave station /go abroad while on CCL?

A16. Child care leave is granted to a woman employee to take care of the needs of the minor children. If the child is studying abroad or the Government servant has to go abroad for taking care of the child she may do so subject to other conditions laid down for this purpose.

Q17. What is the intention behind the instruction that CCL is to be treated like ‘EL and sanctioned as such?

A17. The intention is that CCL should be availed with prior approval of leave sanctioning authority and that the combination of CCL with other leave, if any, should be as per the restriction on EL. The restriction of the limit of 180 days at a stretch as applicable in the case of EL will not apply in case of CCL. The other conditions like CCL may not be granted for less than 15 days or in more than 3 Spells etc, will apply. (Rule 43-C)

Q18. Whether commuted leave is admissible based on medical certificates of Hospitals/Medical practitioner approved by the employer of the spouse in cases where the concerned employee has been allowed to avail such facilities from the employer of the spouse?

A18. Leave on medical grounds may be allowed on the basis of certificates issued by Hospitals/Medical practitioners approved by the employer of the spouse in such cases.



How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

error: Content is protected !!