Central Government Offices Holiday Calendar for 2021
Central Government Offices Holiday Calendar for 2021
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Establishment (JCA-2) Section
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 10th June, 2020
Subject: Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during the year 2021- reg.
It has been decided that the holidays, as specified in the Annexure -I to this O.M., will be observed in all the Administrative Offices of the Central Government located at Delhi/New Delhi during the year 2021. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/her out of the list of Restricted Holidays specified at Annexure – II.
2. Central Government Administrative Offices located outside Delhi / New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays, to be chosen out of the 12 optional holidays indicated below at para 3.1:
- REPUBLIC DAY
- INDEPENDENCE DAY
- MAHATMA GANDHI’S BIRTHDAY
- BUDDHA PURNIMA
- CHRISTMAS DAY
- DUSSEHRA (VIJAY DASHMI)
- DIWALI (DEEPAVALI)
- GOOD FRIDAY
- GURU NANAK’S BIRTHDAY
- IDU’L FITR
- IDU’L ZUHA
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI
- PROPHET MOHAMMAD’S BIRTHDAY (ID-E-MILAD)
3.1. In addition to the above 14 Compulsory holidays mentioned in para 2, three holidays shall be chosen by the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committee in the State Capitals, if necessary, in consultation with Coordination Committees at other places in the State, from the list indicated below. The final list, applicable uniformly to all Central Government offices within the concerned State, shall be notified accordingly and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in the festivals and dates, as indicated at Annexure -I and Annexure-II baring a few exceptions indicated at para 5,1 and 5.2 here in after.
- AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR DUSSEHRA
- JANAMASHTAMI (VAISHNAVI)
- RAM NAVAMI
- MAHA SHIVRATRI
- GANESH CHATURTHI / VINAYAK CHATURTHI
- MAKAR SANKARANTI
- RATH YATRA
- SRI PANCHAMI I BASANT PANCHAMI
- VISHU/ VAISAKHI / VAISAKHADI / BHAG BIHU / MASHADI UGADI / CHAITRA SUKLADI / CHETI CHAND / GUDI PADAVA / 1ST NAVRATRA / NAORAZ /CHHATH POOJA / KARVA CHAUTH
3.2 No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays, initially declared, subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festivals falling on the same day.
4. The list of Restricted Holidays appended as annexure-II to this D.M. is meant for Central Government Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi. The Coordination Committees at the State Capitals may draw up separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance. However, the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi / New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Idu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions after ascertaining the position from the Govt. of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi / New Delhi, the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees at the State Capitals are authorized to change the date of holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments / Union Territories, in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Idu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date in respect of the above occasions has to be declared at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement could be made through P.I.B/T,V./A.I.R./ Newspapers and the Heads of Department / Offices of the Central Government may take action according to such an announcement, without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6 During 2021, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Thursday, November 4, 2021 (Kartika 13). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.e., on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day”. In view of this, there is no objection if holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali. Day) for the Central Government Offices in a State if in that State that day
alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7 Central Government Organizations which include industrial, commercial and trading establishments would observe upto 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day and Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays / occasions may be determined by such establishments/ organizations themselves for the year 2021, subject to para 3.2 above.
8 Union Territory Administrations shall decide the list of holidays in terms of Instructions issued in this regard by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
9 In respect of Indian Missions abroad, the number of holidays may be notified in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s O.M. 12/5/2002-JCA dated 17th December, 2002. In other words, they will have the option to select 13(Thirteen) holidays of their own only after including in the list, three National Holidays and Mahavir Jayanti, Independence Day, Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday included in the list of compulsory holidays and falling on days of weekly off.
10 In respect of Banks, the holidays shall be regulated in terms of the extant instructions issued by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
11. Hindi version will follow.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
M 2309 4678
- All Ministries/ Departments of Government of India.
- UPSC / CVC / C &AG/ PM0 / Lok Sabha Secretariat/ Rajya Sabha Secretariat / President’s Secretariat / Vice-President’s Secretariat / Supreme Court / High Court of the States / Central Administrative Tribunal Principal Bench / Election Commission of India / Minorities Commission / National Human Rights Commission / Central Information Commission/National Commission for Women /National Commission for SC/NCST/NCBC.
- All attached and subordinate offices of Ministry of Personnel, P.G. & Pensions,
- Secretary, Staff Side, National Council (JCM), 13-C, Ferozeshah Road, New Delhi.
- All Staff Side Members of the National Council (JCM).
- All Staff Side Members of the Departmental Council (JCM), Ministry of Personnel, G. and Pensions.
- Chairman/ Secretaries, Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees (As per updated list from Welfare Section).
- PS to Cabinet Secretary.
- Deputy Secretary (Coordination), Delhi Secretariat, I.G. Stadium, I.T.O., New Delhi.
- The Manager (Store), Government of India, Forms Store, 166 Lenin Sarai, Kolkata
- Chief Secretaries to all the State Governments/Union Territories.
- Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity, VII. Building, New Delhi
- Deputy Director (Bills), Dte. of Printing, B-Wing, Nirman Bhavan, New Delhi
- Positional Astronomy Centre, Block-AQ, Plot No.8 Sector-V, Salt lake, Manish Bathan, Kolltata 700091
- Facilitation Centre, DOP&T (20 copies)
LIST OF HOLIDAYS DURING THE YEAR 2021 FOR ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
|S. No.||Holiday||Date||Saka Date||Day|
| 1942 SAKA ERA
|1||Republic Day||January 26||Magha 06||Tuesday|
|2||Holi||March 29||Chaitra 08||Monday|
|1943 Saka Era|
|3||Good Friday||April 02||Chaitra 12||Friday|
|4||Ram Navami||April 21||Vaisakha 01||Wednesday|
|5||Mahavir Jayanti||April 25||Vaisakha 05||Sunday|
|6||Id-Ul-Fitr||May 14||Vaisakha 24||Friday|
|7||Budha Purnima||May 26||Jyaishtha 05||Wednesday|
|8||Id-Ul-Zuha(Bakrid)||July 21||Ashadha 30||Wednesday|
|9||Independence Day||August 15||Sarvana 24||Sunday|
|10||Muharram||August 19||Sarvana 28||Thursday|
|11||Janmashtami||August 30||Bhadra 08||Monday|
|12||Mahatma Gandhi,s Birthday||October 02||Asvina 10||Saturday|
|13||Dussehra||October 15||Asvina 23||Friday|
|14||Milad-un-Nabi or Id-e-Milad(Birthday of Prophet Mohammad)||October 19||Asvina 27||Tuesday|
|15||Diwali (Deepavali)||November||Kartika 13||Thursday|
|16||Guru Nanak’s Birthday||November||Kartika 28||Friday|
|17||Christmas Day||December||Pausha 04||Saturday|
LIST OF RESTRICTED HOLIDAYS DURING THE YEAR 2021 FOR ADMINSTRATIVE OFFICERS OF CENTRAL GOVERMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEWDELHI
|S. No.||Holiday||Date||Saka Date||Day|
|SAKA ERA 1942|
|1||New Year’s Day||January 01||Pausha 11||Friday|
|2||Lohri||January 13||Pausha 23||Wednesday|
|3||Makar Sankranti /Magha Bihu /Pongal||January 14||Pausha 24||Thursday|
|4||Guru Gobind Singh’s Birthday||January 20||Pausha 30||Wednesday|
|5||Basanta Panchami /Sri Panchami||February 16||Magha 27||Thursday|
|6||Shivaji Jayanti||February 19||Magha 30||Friday|
|7||Hazrat Ali’s Birthday||February 26||Phalguna 07||Friday|
|8||Guru Ravi Das’s Birthday||February 27||Phalguna 08||Saturday|
|9||Swami Dayananda Saraswati Jayanti||March 08||Phalguna 17||Monday|
|10||Maha Shivaratri||March 11||Phalguna 20||Thursday|
SAKA ERA 1943
|11||Holika Dahan / Dolyatra||March 28||Chaitra 07||Sunday|
|12||Easter Sunday||April 04||Chaitra 14||Sunday|
|13||Chaitra Sukladi /Gudi Padava/Ugadi/ Cheti Chand / Vaisakhi /Vishu||April 13||Chaitra 23||Tuesday|
|14||Mesadi Tamil New Year’s Day||April 14||Chaitra 24||Wednesday|
|15||Vaisakhadi (Bengal) / Bahag Bihu (Assam)||April 15||Chaitra 25||Thursday|
|16||Jamat-Ul-Vida||May 07||Vaisakha 17||Friday|
|17||Guru Rabindranath’s Birthday||May 09||Vaisakha 19||Sunday|
|18||Rath Yatra||July 12||Ashadha 21||Monday|
|19||Parsi New Year’s day/ Nauraj||August 16||Sravana 25||Monday|
|20||Onam or Thiru Onam Day||August 21||Sravana 30||Saturday|
|21||Raksha Bandhan||August 22||Sravana 31||Sunday|
|22||Janmashtami (Smarta)||August 30||Bhadra 08||Monday|
|23||Vinayaka Chaturthil / Ganesh Chaturthi||September 10||Bhadra 19||Friday|
|24||Dussehra (Saptami)||October 12||Asvina 20||Tuesday|
|25||Dussehra (Mahashtami)||October 13||Asvina 21||Wednesday|
|26||Dussehra (Mahanavmi)||October 14||Asvina 22||Thursday|
|27||Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday||October 20||Asvina 28||Wednesday|
|28||Karaka Chaturthi (Karwa Chouth)||October 24||Kartika 02||Sunday|
|29||Naraka Chaturdasi||November 03||Kartika 12||Wednesday|
|30||Govardhan Puja||November 05||Kartika 14||Friday|
|31||Bhai Duj||November 06||Kartika 15||Saturday|
|32||Pratihar Shashthi or Surya Shashthi (Chhat Puja)||November 10||Kartika 19||Wednesday|
|33||Guru Teg Dahadur’s Martyrdom Day||November 24||Agrahayana 03||Wednesday|
|34||Christmas Eve||December 24||Pausha 03||Friday|