As per these guidelines it is categorically stated that vigilance clearance for the purpose of granting passport to a central government employee can be withheld in the circumstances such as when the employee concerned is under suspension, charge sheet issued against him / her etc.
In the normal circumstances, Employee can apply for passport after giving an advance intimation to the controlling authority.
Only when the department in which the employee concerned is working has objections for issue of passport, it can approach the passport authority to reject the application of the employee. The decision of the passport authority will be final.
Ministry of External Affairs has also envisaged that the earlier procedure of obtaining no objection certificate or identity certificate can also be followed by the employees in the place of prior intimation.
The extract of Office memornadum dated 26.05.205 issued by Ministry of External Affairs is as follows.
No.VI/401/01/05/2014 Government of India Ministry of External Affairs CPV Division
Patiala House Annexe, Tilak Marg New Delhi, 26th May, 2015
Subject: Issuance of Ordinary Passport to Government Servants, PSU / Autonomous body employees, et al.
In tune with the Government’s objective of ‘Minimum Government, Maximum Governance’ and with a view to simplifying the procedure for issuance of Passport to Government Servants, PSU/Autonomous body employees, etc, the matter has been reviewed. In order to facilitate issuance of Passport to Government employees, who find difficulties to obtain Identity Certificate (IC) / No Objection Certificate (NOC) from their department, it has been decided to introduce a new feature which is termed as ‘Prior Intimation’ letter to the controlling authority by the Passport applicant before submission of a Passport application.
2. Basically, Prior Intimation is a letter from the Passport applicant giving intimation to his/her Controlling /Administrative Authority (employer) regarding submission of Passport application. This can be submitted by the applicant in the format of ‘Annexure-N’. After submission of Passport application by such an employee, the copy of this Prior Intimation would be sent to the same Controlling/ Administrative Authority under which the employee is working. In case the employer has any objection regarding issuance of Passport to that employee, they may revert back to concerned Regional Passport Office mentioning the details of such objection. However, the final decision will be taken by the concerned Passport Issuing Authority. If Prior Intimation is submitted by the applicant, Passport would be issued on the basis of Pre-Police Verification, however the provisions of Police Verification in reissue cases will remain applicable.
3. Henceforth, any one of the following documents can be submitted by Government Servants, PSU/Autonomous body employees, etc for submission of application for Passports:
(a) Copy of Prior Intimation to Controlling / Administrative Authority; or
(b) No Objection Certificate from Controlling/ Administrative Authority; or
(c) Identity Certificate from Controlling / Administrative authority.
4. No Objection Certificate (NOC) is issued in the format of ‘Annexure-M’ by the Controlling /Administrative Authority of the employee working under them for obtaining Passport by any Government Servants, PSU / Autonomous body employees, et al. If NOC is submitted Passport will be issued on Post-Police Verification basis.
5. Identity Certificate (IC) is issued in the format of ‘Annexure-B’ by the Controlling /Administrative Authority of the employee working under them for obtaining Passport by any Government Servants, PSU / Autonomous body employees, et al. If IC is submitted Passport will be issued on No-Police Verification basis. The spouse of such employees, and dependent children up to the age of 18 years, has an option to submit IC for expeditious issue of passport. In case of IC, the applicant is also required to submit ‘Annexure-I’.
6. It may be noted that the following provisions will remain applicable as mentioned below:
a. While IC should be issued preferably on Official Stationery (letterhead); NOC on plain paper with signature/stamp can be accepted, on the assumption that such offices are using plain paper for day to day correspondence. Prior Intimation (PI) is required to be submitted on plain paper by the Passport applicant.
b. Telephone, fax and e-mail id of the Controlling / Administrative Office (to the extent available) should be indicated in all the three documents for the purpose of confirmation.
c. Military personnel with c/ o APO address (e.g. 56 APO /99 APO) may submit applications at their station of posting or at their permanent address, and write their permanent address in passport [against present address otherwise]. Spouse of such personnel [and adult children, when spouse has expired/divorced] may receive the passport, with authority letter, either by hand or by post. This would apply to similarly placed Air Force/Navy personnel as well.
d. If Government/PSU employees, et al. are transferred after submission of the passport application or passport is returned undelivered due to such transfer, the same be re-dispatched, on request (along with copy of transfer order), at the new address, after correction/ endorsement of address. However, if police verification was required and was not completed, it will be done at the new place.
e. The validity of the documents mentioned at para-3 will be six months from date of issue.
7. While the revised provisions deal only with passport issuance, the requirement by the Government employees to obtain prior permission from his/her Department I Ministry for travelling abroad as per Conduct Rules will remain unchanged as per the instructions issued by the Department of Personnel & Training and respective authorities.
8. Ministries of the Central Government, and the State Governments/ Union Territories are requested to circulate these instructions to all the employees working under them, including those in attached and subordinate ~offices, and statutory bodies.
(Muktesh K. Pardeshi) Joint Secretary(PSP) & Chief Passport Officer
ALL CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES, STATE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES, EMPLOYEES OF STATUTORY BODIES AND PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKINGS, THEIR SPOUSE AND CHILDREN UP TO THE AGE OF 18YEARS ARE REQUIRED TO PRODUCE AN
(Strike out options that are not applicable)
(To be given in Duplicate on Original Stationery)
Certified that Shri/Smt/Miss……………… Son/Wife/Daughter of Shri ………………… ,who is an Indian national, is a temporary/permanent employee of (office address)…………… from (date)…………….. and is at present holding the post of ………….. Shri/Smt./Miss/Mst………….. , who is also an Indian national, is/ are a dependent family member(s) of Shri/Smt./Miss/Mst……….. , and his/her identity is certified. This Ministry/Department/Organisation has no objection to his/her acquiring Indian Passport. I, the undersigned, am duly authorised to sign this Identity Certificate. I have read the provisions of Section 6(2) of the Passports Act, 1967 and certify that these are not attracted in case of this applicant. I recommend issue of an Indian Passport to him/her. It is certified that this organization is a Central/ State Government/ Public Sector undertaking/ Statutory body. The Identity Card Number of Shri/Smt/Miss (employee) ………………………… is…….. .
Ref.No…………. & Date .
Name, Designation, Address & Tel No.
Applicant’s photo to
Note: Refer Annexure ‘F’ for details of Section 6(2) of the Passports Act, 1967
(Tobe executed on appropriate non-judicial stamp paper of minimum value and attested by a Notary Public)
(One original and one self-attested photocopy to be submitted)
I, …………..(name), son/ daughter/ wife of Shri…………….. residing at ………….Date of Birth …………..being an applicant for issue of passport, do hereby solemnly affirm and state the following:
1. That the names of my parents and spouse are as follows:
2. That I am a continuous resident at the above mentioned address from ………..
3. That I am a citizen of India by birth/descent/registration/naturalization and that I have neither acquired the citizenship of another country nor have surrendered nor been terminated/ deprived of my citizenship of India.
4. That I have not, at any time during the period of five years immediately preceding the date of this affidavit, been convicted by any court in India for any offence involving moral turpitude, nor sentenced in respect thereof to imprisonment for not less than two years.
5. That no proceedings in respect of any criminal offence alleged to have been committed by me are pending before any criminal court in India.
6. That no warrant or summons for my appearance, and no warrant for my arrest, has been issued by a court under any law for the time being in force, and that my departure from India has not been prohibited by order of any such court.
7. That I have never been repatriated from abroad back to India at the expense of Government of India/I was repatriated from abroad back to India at the expense of Government of India, but reimbursed expenditure incurred in connection with such repatriation.
8. That I will not engage in activities prejudicial to the sovereignty and integrity of India.
9. That my departure from India will not be detrimental to the security of India.
10. That my presence outside India will not prejudice the friendly relations of India with any foreign country.
Place: . Date: .
Verified on . (date) at (place) that the contents of the above mentioned affidavit are true and correct and nothing material has been concealed.
No………………….. . Dated ……………………
(No Objection Certificate issuing officer should attest the photograph of the applicant with his/her signature and rubber stamp in such a way that half the signature and stamp appear on the photograph and half on the certificate)
NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE
Shri/Smt/Miss………… s/o, d/o……………. ,who is an Indian national, is employed in this office as…………… from….. . till date. This Ministry/Department/Office has no objection to his/ her obtaining a passport.
Controlling/ Administrative authority
(a) The officer authorized to issue NOC should sign with name and stamp and must provide contact details for verification by Passport Authority.
(b) NOC will be valid for six months from date of issue.
Letter from the Government/ PSU / Statutory body employees giving prior intimation to his/her Administrative Deptt/Office for submission of Passport application
Date: . ……..
[To be addressed to the Controlling/ Administrative Authority with full postal address]
Email: . …………
Subject:Prior intimation for submission of Passport application
I hereby give prior intimation that I am applying for an ordinary Passport to Regional Passport Office…………………. .